Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Patterson and His Playing

When Mississippi coach Andy Kennedy met with the media following his team’s 85-75 loss to the Kentucky Wildcats on Tuesday night at Rupp Arena, he was running down a list of what makes Kentucky so difficult to defend.

He talked about Wall. He talked about Cousins. He talked about Bledsoe. Then he paused for a second or two and said, “I mention three guys and I don’t even mention the Preseason Player of the Year in the league.”

He was referring to Kentucky's junior Patrick Patterson, who was named to The Associated Press’ preseason All-America first team.

Before the Ole Miss game, Patterson averaged only 8.7 points and 6.3 rebounds in his three prior games against Arkansas, South Carolina and Vanderbilt. Patterson’s last double-double came back earlier in the season against Long Beach State when he had 15 points and 11 boards Dec. 23.

He refuses to blame all this on Calipari's system.

I resorted away from that,” Patterson said. “I am comfortable with where I’m at. I love seeing John ball. I love seeing DeMarcus and Eric ball. But Coach wants me to join in as well instead of watching.”

“I liked Patrick’s game tonight,” Calipari said following the Ole Miss game. “He went after the ball and rebounded the ball. He is still not where he needs to be but in another week or so you will see how good he is. He is making strides.”

Coach Cal and Patrick have been meeting for 30 minute sessions before each practice.

“Part of the reason I am working with him is because I want him to know how much confidence I have in him,” Calipari said. “Joe Dumars said of all the players that returned to college he has helped himself the most. I am proud of that. I am telling him to take that to another level. … He is still 30 percent better than the way he played today in my opinion.”

No comments:

Post a Comment